Sunday, September 28, 2008

Whale Shark "MY-010"

Remember my Whale Shark encounter (see previous post) at Pulau Aur on 17 Aug 08? I submitted the photos and video of the encounter to the ECOCEAN Whale Shark Photo-Identification Library, contributing to the growing database of Whale Sharks which is "maintained and used by marine biologists in collecting and analysing Whale Shark encounter data to learn more about these amazing creatures".

I encourage all of you who have photos of separate Whale Shark sightings to submit your encounters at http://whaleshark.org/. Learn also which part of the Whale Shark to capture (photo/video) for positive and unique identification (Identification Area).

Whale Shark "MY-010"
My submission was the very first report of this Whale Shark and it has been catalogued "MY-010" (see Whale Shark MY-101). MY-010 probably means "10th uniquely identified Whale Shark reported in the region of Malaysia".
Whale Shark MY-010Whale Shark MY-010

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin Ho said...

so is it 10.0m or 4.0m? :-)

Tue Sep 30, 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Dank said...

I estimate 10m 'cos i was swimming next to it. My photos and video has other divers next to it to facilitate my estimate.

=)

Wed Oct 01, 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

...since 14 April 2005